You live in the natural world. As a human being, your life is influenced by the interplay of natural law and human nature. THAT includES your working life. Even where you work, even on the workfloor itself, you cannot escape nature’s influence. The management styles you choose, or have chosen for you, need to work with, not against nature.
The challenge, if you want to do great work is to create pockets of predictability in in an uncertain world. You have to be able to do better than just rolling the dice.
We do that through repeatable process. You can't make things better if you don't know what they are. And, there is a lot to be learned about it from the natural world.
Managing Natural Business Cycles
- Starting-up you solve the riddle of uncertainty by validating what customers need and will buy.
- Running, you need to create and maintain safe zones of relative certainty and predictability, in the middle of a sea of uncertainty.
- Running down, you prune your dead wood, make way for renewal and go back to number 1
- The smart management styles continually move through all cycles
Every business goes through these natural cycles. The key is recognizing where you are in the cycle, and know what is the best way to deal with it in the moment. Learn to ride the wave, rather than the wave ride you.
What works is to Manage Naturally
- Make Flexible Plans
- Follow what is Real: Keep your focus on what is really happening, where it is really happening
- Empower people to be able to adapt, and know when and when not to.
LEARN BETTER MANAGEMENT STYLES
What you need to know isn't much, but knowing it takes a lot. You can go a mile wide and a millimeter deep on the search engines and in chat rooms. But you can't really master something at the speed of Twitter. Join us. Get real know how. Check out our posts on Tricks of the Trade here, and/or Treat Yourself to the Uncorporate Academy. Go a mile deep, and millimeter wide in what matters.